Today I was reminded of my duty when it comes to Fall TV recommendations. I watch so much TV that many of my friends now depend on me to filter thru it all and recommend what is worth watching. I wil admit that moving to Texas and adjusting to all the changes at work has gotten a bit in the way of my TV viewing, but I made some adjustments and got back on it! I mean how can I let my friends down? So here goes my current views on the new TV.
New Stuff I Like So Far...
- New Girl - one girl, three guys, random singing, funny lines... this show walks a fine line between quirky hilarity and trying too hard. So far, I am liking it, but need to see a couple more episodes to know. My lead fav new comedy so far.
- Up All Night - another quirky show that shows potential about a couple that has a baby and is still trying to figure it out. I loved how they went out all night partying and realized they can't do that anymore with a baby. It's a bit crass and over the top but worth checking out.
- 2 Broke Girls - This new show is like the odd couple for modern times... a street savvy girl meets spoiled but smart rich girl who is suddenly broke. Not great but better than a lot of the tv out there.
- The Secret Circle - teen paranormal show about a circle of witches. If you like reading young adult urban fantasy stuff (vampires, witches, etc.) then this show is worth checking out. I am looking forward to seeing more!
No sold yet...
- Free Agents - The show is based around 2 characters who work together and just hooked up. One is recently divorced and still dealing with the emotional fall out while the other had her fiance die a year ago. Somehow this is meant to be a comedy. Maybe if they had made it darker it would work. Instead it just felt sad to me. I did crack up though at one of the office scenes (where they brain storm on how to help Alex get more dates/reposition himself) so perhaps it will get better.
- The Playboy Bunny Club - I love the idea a retro show with glam, but I was surprised by the take on this show. I was hoping/expecting a drama in line with shows like Mad Men or Swingtown. But the show looks like it is going for a more over the top suspense angle including mobsters, affairs, hidden agendas and more. I worry that as the show tries to keep topping itself it will just get to be too much.
Still want to check it out...
- American Horror Story - looks really interesting and starts Oct 5th! Check it out!
- Pan Am - love the retro feel and hope its everything Playboy Bunny Club is not.
- Ringer - already started and I missed it! I need to find where I can watch it...
- Revenge - previews looked interesting but not sure its getting great reviews